Wednesday, November 14, 2012

XS750 Restoration, Part 9 -- Cleaning and Miscellany

It's been a while since I've posted the last entry. In that time, I've mostly been cleaning and doing prep work for some upcoming tasks, and finishing up some of the work I've been doing.

First, I received the K&N air filters to replace the Emgo filters that don't work with the Mikuni MK. I carbs. The K&N filters, on the other hand, seem to work perfectly. Of course, I won't know that for a fact until I can fire up the engine, which I can't do until I get my throttle and clutch cables from Motion Pro...but I'm getting ahead of myself :)

I've also spent more time stripping the paint from the tank -- that's a tedious process! I'm starting to understand why so many others on various web forums talk about using aircraft stripper (chemicals) to strip the paint. However, I have a well at my house, and I really don't want paint stripper or dissolved paint in my drinking water (no, I have no intention of dumping the chemicals in my yard, but inevitably, you're going to spill some).

While discussing the tank, I noticed that the gasket on the filler cap was leaking. Since I had to pull the filler cap to strip the tank anyway, I pulled the gasket while the cap was off. It was no wonder the cap was leaking -- the gasket was crumbling to pieces >:( Fortunately, I saw one for sale somewhere on-line...

In addition to prepping the tank for fresh paint, I also got detailed measurements for the clutch cable, throttle cable, and front brake lines. I now have stainless steel braided front brake lines and bleeder banjo bolts on order from SV Racing Parts (Blair's a great guy to work with!), and I've shipped the throttle and clutch cables to Motion Pro to have new cables made to replicate the originals, only about six inches shorter. I'll try to get the drawings of the new brake lines, the throttle cable and the clutch cable added here soon, in the hopes that it may help others with their XS750 projects, too.

Speaking of brake lines, I'm getting low on funds, but I haven't ordered any of the stainless steel banjo bolts that I intended to get to replace the rusted, corroded bolts that were originally installed on the bike. Fortunately, I pulled out a wire brush attachment for my drill that has done a great job cleaning up the bolts. In the photo in this paragraph, you can see the "before" shot...

...a close-up "before" shot...

...and two of the bolts after being cleaned up.

Still to come: crankcase breather filter, brake line install, clutch and throttle cables, and hopefully, painting the tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment